A combo package to explore the Grotto Canyon Trail on an icewalk and then snuggle down on a snowy sleigh ride.
Included: Grotto Canyon Icewalk (8:30am – 12:30pm)
Hike the Grotto Canyon Trail—the frozen creek bed through a narrow canyon, past unusual rock formations and spectacular icefalls. This is a unique experience to walk directly on the ice, and walking on the creek bed floor gives you a unique view of the canyon. All icewalks include hot chocolate to warm you up and our famous maple cookies!
Included: Sleigh Ride (various times available)
Take a 40-minute sleigh ride with family and friends through Banff’s mountain meadows as you keep your eyes peeled for elk and deer. Your memorable excursion includes a fireside warmup stop after the ride where you can enjoy a warm drink back at the stables (weather and snow conditions permitting).
Activities in this package can be taken on the same day or on different days.
The best parts of the Grotto Canyon Icewalk Tour for most people include the following:
A stunted forest
Geology of the Rocky Mountains
Grotto Canyon Pictographs
Grotto Canyon Icefalls
The best parts of the Sleigh Ride for most people include the following:
Sleigh ride through the mountain meadows
Hot drinks by the fire
We provide ice cleats that will be attached to your boots that will prevent you from slipping on the ice. We also have hiking poles for extra stability if you would like to use them.
Most guests choose to self-drive into Banff, although please note that you will need to find parking in Banff that exceeds the duration of the tour. Please refer to the Town of Banff website for general parking information, or the banffparking.ca website for live parking availability. For guests staying in Canmore, you can also use the Roam bus service and disembark at the Banff High School. The closest pick up point to the Banff High School is across the road at the Elk and Avenue Hotel.
To ensure that you enjoy the tour, please wear/bring:
- Photo ID for each adult (18+) for waiver verification.
- Thermals/base layers/long johns.
- Snow pants are recommended for this tour and are mandatory if it is below -16C (3F). Otherwise on warmer days, jeans/regular pants over long johns are okay. Snow pants can be rented from stores in Banff such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- A warm sweater.
- A warm jacket. Ski jackets can be rented from stores in Banff such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- A hat and mitts.
- A neck warmer or scarf.
- Sturdy warm shoes, ideally winter boots or hiking boots. They do not have to be waterproof, but they must be warm. No heels, ugg boots, flip flops or sandals. If you do not have warm shoes, we recommend a rental store such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- A water bottle.
- A face mask.
Please note that safety is our first priority. If the guide thinks your attire or footwear isn’t appropriate and compromises your safety on the tour, you may not be able to participate.
Please see the below map for the location of Banff Trail Riders Stables:
- Activities in this package can be taken on the same day or on different days.
- The minimum age for this package is 8 years.
- All minors under 18 years old must have a parent or legal guardian with them.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tours, the icewalk waiver will be sent upon booking. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or legal guardian of any child under the age of 18 (documentation may be required to confirm the signatory’s authority).
- Photo ID may be required for identity verification.
- By participating in a tour with Discover Banff Tours, guests are acknowledging that they understand that we may take video and photographs of them during their tour. These videos and photographs may be used in promotional materials including, but not limited to, social media.
- Please note that the Grotto Canyon Icewalk tour requires a minimum of 4 participants, please call the day prior to confirm the tour.