Combo Package; explore a frozen canyon of ice, then soar to a mountain summit for views over Banff.
Included: Johnston Canyon Icewalk (8:30am – 12:30pm or 1:30pm – 5:30pm)
Johnston Canyon is one of the most popular attractions in Banff National Park and has a network of steel catwalks built into the canyon walls that allows you to walk right along this cathedral of ice with airy views into the gorge below. This popular guided afternoon icewalk will lead you past the lower falls and on to view the breathtaking upper icefalls from the upper deck. You will also travel through prime wildlife habitat to reach the falls and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed.
Included: Banff Gondola (various times available)
Experience Banff’s number one attraction as you soar to the top of Sulphur Mountain in Banff in a four passenger, modern glass enclosed gondola. Marvel at the unsurpassed view of Banff, the Bow Valley and a 360 degree view of six scenic mountain ranges from 2,281 metres (7,486 feet) above sea level. This state-of-the-art summit facility has restaurants, interactive interpretive exhibits, a multi-sensory theatre and a breathtaking 360-degree observation deck.
Activities in this package can be taken on the same day or on different days.
The best parts of the Johnston Canyon Icewalk tour for most people include the following:
Bow Valley Parkway
The best parts of the Banff Gondola for most people include the following:
Ride to the summit of Sulphur Mountain
Mountain top dining and facilities
We provide ice cleats that will be attached to your boots that will prevent you from slipping on the ice. We also have hiking poles if you would like to use them for extra stability.
Most guests choose to self-drive into Banff, although please note that you will need to find parking in Banff that exceeds the duration of the tour. Please refer to the Town of Banff website for general parking information, or the banffparking.ca website for live parking availability. For guests staying in Canmore, you can also use the Roam bus service and disembark at the Banff High School. The closest pick up point to the Banff High School is across the road at the Elk and Avenue Hotel.
We provide ice cleats that will be attached to your boots that will prevent you from slipping on the ice, and we have hiking poles for extra stability if you would like to use them as well.
To ensure that you enjoy the tour, please wear/bring:
- Thermals/base layers/long johns.
- Snow pants are recommended for this tour and are mandatory if it is below -16C (3F). Otherwise on warmer days, jeans/regular pants over long johns are okay. Snow pants can be rented from stores in Banff such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- A warm sweater.
- A warm jacket. Ski jackets can be rented from stores in Banff such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- A hat and mitts.
- A neck warmer or scarf.
- Sturdy warm shoes, ideally winter boots or hiking boots. They do not have to be waterproof, but they must be warm. No heels, ugg boots, flip flops or sandals. If you do not have warm shoes, please contact our Reservations Team and we will check our stock levels or recommend a rental store such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- A water bottle.
Please note that safety is our first priority. If the guide thinks your attire or footwear isn’t appropriate and compromises your safety on the tour, you may not be able to participate.
Alternatively, guests can catch the Roam Transit bus.
Several scenic hiking trails lead away from the summit complex. One of the most popular is the self-guided interpretive Sulphur Mountain Boardwalk to Sanson’s Peak on which you can follow in the footsteps of Norman Sanson, who walked to the top of the mountain about every week for 30 years to check the weather.
- Activities in this package can be taken on the same day or on different days.
- The minimum age for this package is 8 years.
- All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the icewalk tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or legal guardian of any child under the age of 18 years.
- Please note that the Johnston Canyon Icewalk tour requires a minimum of 4 participants, please call the day prior to confirm the tour.