Johnston Canyon Icewalk ®
Adult Price: $68.00 (Adult: 13 and up)
Child Price: $42.00 (Child: 8-12)
Departure Information: 8:30am & 1:30pm daily, plus 6:30pm* (date restrictions) Morning Tour runs from November 18th 2016 to April 16th 2017 Afternoon Tour runs from December 9th 2016 to April 16th 2017 Evening Tour runs from December 9th 2016 to April 15th 2017
Duration: 4 hours (2.5 hours for 6:30pm)
Where to meet: Hotel pick up and drop off provided from Banff
Your Tour Includes: Friendly, certified guides, Hot chocolate and maple cookie snack, Ice cleats and hiking poles
The Johnston Canyon Icewalk traverses a series of steel catwalks that give spectacular views of the Johnston Canyon below. This popular ice walk will lead you past the lower falls and to the breathtaking upper icefalls. Travel through prime wildlife habitat and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed. Guests should dress in skiwear for this trip including hats, mitts and warm boots.
PLEASE NOTE: This tour does not walk on the ice. (It is fragile, dangerous and you can punch through to the icy flowing water). You will be following the steel catwalks that are built into the canyon wall and allow a spectacular view down the canyon walls to the ice and river below.
If you would like to walk on ice, our Grotto Canyon Tour allows you to walk on the ice safely, as the creek bed freezes solid.
Itinerary and Highlights
- Bow Valley Parkway: Travel through prime wildlife habitat on the way to the trailhead.
- Catwalks: Steel walkways built into Johnston Canyon walls give an airy view of the gorge below.
- Lower falls: Walk through a natural cave feature for a unique view of the lower falls.
- Rockies geology: The rock is ancient, the creek is old, and the canyon you are walking in is young. Sort out the mystery on your tour.
- Upper falls (day tours only): Gigantic pillars of ice are the highlight of the tour. Ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen columns.
- Walking distance - 5.2km (3.2 miles)
- Elevation gain - 135m (443 feet)
Remember to bring
- Warm clothes, including hats, gloves and warm boots. Ski wear is strongly recommended for this tour.
- Don't forget your camera!
- Minimum age for this tour is 8 years.
- Season dates - Daily AM Icewalks November 20th to April 10th, Daily PM Icewalks December 12th to April 3rd
- *6:30 pm Tour - Available Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
® JOHNSTON CANYON ICEWALK and CANYON ICE WALK are trademarks of Discover Banff Tours Ltd., all rights reserved.
For more information please click here for our Frequently Asked Questions