Grotto Canyon Icewalk
Adult Price: $68.00 (Adult: 13 and up)
Child Price: $42.00 (Child: 8-12)
Departure Information: 8:30 am daily from December 9th 2016 to April 16th 2017
Duration: 4 hours
Where to meet: Hotel pick up and drop off provided from Banff & Canmore
Your Tour Includes: Ice cleats & hiking poles, hot chocolate & light snack
Walk on a frozen creek into Grotto Canyon, past unusual rock formations, ancient Native rock art, and icefalls. The history of the rock art and the geology of the mountains are at your fingertips as the guides explain their mystery. Also, ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen waterfalls.
Here at Grotto Canyon, our Icewalk hikes the frozen creek bed, through a narrow canyon, past unusual rock formations and spectacular icefalls. You might see ice climbers scaling the frozen waterfalls, but for many the highlight of the Grotto Canyon Icewalk is the ancient native pictographs, that are easily missed by the general public. The symbols have many possible meanings and origins and you will learn more about First Nation history in the Bow Valley.
Walking time: 2 - 2.5 hours
Return Distance: 4.2 km
Elevation Gain: 100 m
Itinerary and Highlights:
- A stunted forest: Why are the trees so small and oddly shaped?
- Grotto Creek: You will walk on the frozen creek bed winding through the narrow gorge.
- Rockies geology: Witness ancient ocean floors around you, the result of mountain building processes.
- Pictographs: 500 year old clues linking native culture in Canada to distant areas further south.
- Icefalls: Get close to icefalls seeping from the cliff face, and if lucky watch ice climbers performing their craft.
Remember to bring:
- Warm clothing, including hats, gloves and warm boots. Ski wear is strongly recommended.
- Don't forget your camera!
- Season dates - December 11th to April 3rd
- Minimum age for this tour is 8 years.
For more information please click here for our Frequently Asked Questions
Check availability and prices